[mythtv-users] To install from source or apt-get ?

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Wed Dec 13 08:56:28 UTC 2006

> It installed very easily with the apt-get packages, however I'm wondering if
> further down the line I may run in to problems upgrading to new releases using
> this method?

I have had no problem upgrading Ubuntu via debs. If you want to compile
from source, I suggest that you have a look at checkinstall. Basically,
this lets you compile from source, but it creates a .deb file. This
means you don't get bits of Myth splattered over your computer and it's
easy to remove the versio you compiled from source.

Ian.