[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 Recommendations

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:21:59 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Paul Hamm <paulhamm at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 16:13 -0600, James Oltman wrote:
> > Blammo,
> >
> > Just out of curiousity, what case are you storing your 12 drives in?
> > I've been trying to find a good case for RAID and am not having any
> > luck.  Thanks!
>
> Actually I like this one
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/942/SC942i-R760.cfm
>
> You need to get the 5 sled drive caddies separately put you should be
> able to install 3 caddies or 15 hard drives. You will loose space for an
> internal DVD drive but thats a lot of hd capacity. Cost is about $550
> for the case and $130 for each caddy. Not cheap but very much sever
> class.
>

> If you think that is to much take a look at the AeroCool Spiral Galaxies
> Full Tower case. Has 6x3.5 internal 5x5.25 external, and 2x3.5 external
> Get one of the caddies for the Supermicro and shove it in this. I have
> the case but not the caddy,yet.
>
> http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1227/cas-293/AeroCool_Spiral_Galaxies_Case.html?id=G9NVsd8f
>

> --
> Paul Hamm

I can also highly recommend the Cooler Master Stacker:

http://www.coolermaster.com/special_report/stc-t01/stc-t01.htm

It can hold 12 3.5" drives plus 2 5.25" drives.   Each set of 4 3.5"
drives has a 12cm fan blowing over them to keep them cool.

The case comes with one 4-in-3 cage for the 3.5" hard drives.
Addtional 4-in-3 can be had for ~$25 each.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=STB-3T4-E1

Newegg has a rebate going on this case right now which make it a very
attractive price.

John