[mythtv-users] OSD shows "Signal 0%" on all channels?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Dec 11 15:18:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 14:52 +0000, Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to figure out why I get intermittent "Error was encountered
> while displaying videos" errors. One suggestion was it may be to do
> with poor signal and the fact that
> Myth was not able to lock on to a channel within a specified time.
> Anyway, I noticed that on all my channels the signal level shows as 0%
> and the SNR shows as 4.8dB.

Your drivers don't support signal level. This is nothing to
worry about wrt to MythTV tuning. The signal level is a
composite of several signal quality parameters like BER,
SNR and signal power which gives you a good idea of the
quality of the signal. But MythTV has never relied on this
for tuning DVB cards. MythTV uses the signal lock parameter
which all cards set, even if they only set it based on SNR
or some other signal quality parameter.

Also, MythTV will keep trying to get a lock for several
minutes. So unless you are waiting that long the tuning
is not causing the "Error was encountered while displaying
videos" message. Unfortunately, this message is a catch
all for many problems so it doesn't tell us much. You
will want to look at the mythbackend log, perhaps with
channel and record debugging turned on, to try to find
the actual problem.

There is at least one outstanding ticket (#1153) for a bug
that can cause the "Error was encountered..." message to
appear when it shouldn't.

-- Daniel