[mythtv-users] OSD shows "Signal 0%" on all channels?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 16:08:33 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 14:52 +0000, Mike Dent wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to figure out why I get intermittent "Error was encountered
> > while displaying videos" errors. One suggestion was it may be to do
> > with poor signal and the fact that
> > Myth was not able to lock on to a channel within a specified time.
> > Anyway, I noticed that on all my channels the signal level shows as 0%
> > and the SNR shows as 4.8dB.
> Your drivers don't support signal level. This is nothing to
> worry about wrt to MythTV tuning. The signal level is a
> composite of several signal quality parameters like BER,
> SNR and signal power which gives you a good idea of the
> quality of the signal. But MythTV has never relied on this
> for tuning DVB cards. MythTV uses the signal lock parameter
> which all cards set, even if they only set it based on SNR
> or some other signal quality parameter.
> Also, MythTV will keep trying to get a lock for several
> minutes. So unless you are waiting that long the tuning
> is not causing the "Error was encountered while displaying
> videos" message. Unfortunately, this message is a catch
> all for many problems so it doesn't tell us much. You
> will want to look at the mythbackend log, perhaps with
> channel and record debugging turned on, to try to find
> the actual problem.
> There is at least one outstanding ticket (#1153) for a bug
> that can cause the "Error was encountered..." message to
> appear when it shouldn't.
> -- Daniel

Thanks Daniel,
I did post entries from my logfile over the weekend when this
happened. However I did not have any other debugging enabled. I have
now enabled channel and record debugging so I will see if this gives
any other info next time it happens.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list