[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 14:33:06 UTC 2006

On 12/9/06, Ho-Kuo Chan <hokuo.chan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've searched the archives but can't find any information on MythTV
> running on SMP machines. Can anyone tell me if MythTV will take
> advantage of the SMP setup for building a time-slip capable PVR? (I
> guess that would also depend on the capture card drivers)? I have an
> ATI TV Wonder PCI.

If you are not using HD (and do not plan to in the near future) you
will be better off using a faster single core processor over two
slower cores as most operations in myth do not make use of the second
core. Mytharchive, commercial flagging, mythtranscode ... do not use
more than one core on a single video but you can sometimes execute
more than one instance of some of these in parallel as long as they
are working on a different video.

John