[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:04:11 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2006, at 10:26 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>

>> On Dec 10, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>>
>>> Did you check to see if your using NvAGP?  That could be killing
>>> you too.  I think there are only certain chipsets that support it
>>> so check the doc first.  But to get it working if it's not, put
>>> agp=off in your boot string and put NvAGP=1 in your xorg.conf.
>>> Then when X loads, if possible, you'll be running with NvAGP.
>>>
>> I'll give that a try on my next reboot and see how it goes.
>>

> That didn't help any, but I did notice something I didn't before.
> When running 720p content, mythfrontend is 35% and Xorg is up in the
> 90's. When I run 1080i content, mythfrontend is in the 90's and Xorg
> is around 35%. I also changed over to kernel deinterlace without any
> difference in processing from linear deinterlace.

Just in case you haven't solved it yet I'll toss in my 2 cents.  Xorg
taking up 90% sounds like no XV or XVMC to me.
I know you said you're not using XVMC... maybe check that you have XV
instead.  For SD X should take around 10% or lower, probably lower for
your processor.  So I would imagine HD should only eat up around 50-70%,
which seems like what some other people are getting in the thread.
Still, that was my problem once - 90% usage to watch in X and the
frontend ate the remaining 10%.  Once I made sure XV was loaded it went
way down.  There's the section in xorg.conf where you add all those
things like GLX, V4L, etc.  XV is in there.  You can also check it if
you do dpkg-reconfigure xorg if you're using a debian-ish distro (not
sure what the command is on FC or other but there probably is one).
Raphael