[mythtv-users] New Media Center PC...options?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 9 17:33:03 UTC 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Michael Tiller wrote:

> OK.  I just blew (another!) motherboard and I needed to fix that
> computer.  When discussing what to do, my wife asked me what I
> "wanted" to do about it.  I cleaned my ears out and said, "you said
> 'want'...you understand that 'want' is different than 'need'" and
> she said "well just tell me what you want to do about it".

How on earth are you "blowing" motherboards? In over 20 years and
more mobos than I can remember I have never "blown" one.

You should take at least elementary precautions, grounding yourself
before touching things. An anti-static wrist strap is not a bad idea
(please use a "real" one with a series resistor as fried user is not
a very palatable thought). If you don't have an anti-static mat to
work on at least use the anti-stat bag the board presumably came in.

Unless you figure out why you are "blowing" stuff I suspect you will
continue to have problems.