[mythtv-users] New Media Center PC...options?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:48:59 UTC 2006

> On Dec 9, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Michael Tiller wrote:
> > OK.  I just blew (another!) motherboard and I needed to fix that
> > computer.  When discussing what to do, my wife asked me what I
> > "wanted" to do about it.  I cleaned my ears out and said, "you said
> > 'want'...you understand that 'want' is different than 'need'" and
> > she said "well just tell me what you want to do about it".
>
> How on earth are you "blowing" motherboards? In over 20 years and
> more mobos than I can remember I have never "blown" one.
>
> You should take at least elementary precautions, grounding yourself
> before touching things. An anti-static wrist strap is not a bad idea
> (please use a "real" one with a series resistor as fried user is not
> a very palatable thought). If you don't have an anti-static mat to
> work on at least use the anti-stat bag the board presumably came in.
>
> Unless you figure out why you are "blowing" stuff I suspect you will
> continue to have problems.

making sure you turn off the power before fiddling...

actually, I once accidentally dropped a screw onto the motherboard of
a running computer which I left he case open for. computer shutdown. I
had to unplug the power supply for a while, but it came back fine.
Really, its quite hard to blow a motherboard. The only way I can think
is to somehow short a capacitor (as they are unprotected by the
coating used), or supply it with improper voltage.

I too would like to know what you did to blow *two* motherboards, as

As for the LX-8100... Oddly the Asus boards they use don't have SPDIF
output on the backport (though it is available via a header on the
motherboard, but what a pain!). Asus must be mental. Other than that,
it should be fine. As to which CPU, the fastest you can afford, but
don't bother getting anything slower than a 3500+. Since this looks
like it will at least start life as a combined front and backend, I'd
say get an X2.
Also, considering all they really get you is a case and a motherboard,
you could always buy them on your own, there are a few nice HTPC case
manufacturers like SilverstoneTek. Not that the LiX case is all that
bad, its actually quite nice, and if they would be willing to put a
coax SPDIF RCA connector on the back somewhere and connect it to the
SPDIF header on the motherboard, the $300-$350 they charge isn't such
a bad deal.

as well, they do make a low profile PVR-150,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116629
along with the low profile DViCO FusionHDTV5 Lite,
http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/ATSC5Lite.aspx

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!