[mythtv-users] Separate Box for Commercial Flagging and Transcoding

Thomas Hawkins cornmaster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 19:56:55 UTC 2006

I have two computers.  Both Ubuntu 6.06.  Since I finally figured out how to
make automatic transcoding and commercial flagging possible, I would like to
offload that responsibility to my second box.  I use it mostly for playing
Civilization 4 in Windows, so when I'm not doing that, it is just sitting
idle and could be taking the load off of my main desktop system.

I have seen tutorials on how to offload flagging to a second machine, but
nothing for the transcoding.

Could someone point me to a tutorial on that?  Or explain how it should be
done?  Here is what I figure I have to do so far:

I'd imagine first I would have to set up NFS or some how mount the remote
partition which contains all of my myth recordings.
Then I would have to install mythfrontend and mythbackend on the second
computer.
I would also have to reconfigure my frontend on my master computer with an
IP that can be reached from the second computer.
I have to disable automatic flagging (and transcoding?) on my master server
and enable it on the secondary.
Create custom jobs that would do the flagging and transcoding. (This is the
part I'm not so sure about.*)

* I have seen tutorials for doing the automatic flagging, but not automatic
transcoding.  I'm also not sure how good this will operate over a wireless
network (or a 10Mb connection) although I suspect it will be less
troublesome then trying to stream TV.

Am I headed in the right direction at least?
Thanks.