[mythtv-users] Configuration question

Matt Rude mythtv at mattrude.com
Thu Dec 7 18:33:27 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> I'm a bit puzzled over where the configuration data is kept.  Not under
> the /etc tree, apparently.
>
> My question arises because I keep getting messages that it can't find
> the BackendServer; for example, after running mythfilldatabase, I get
> message below:
>
> No setting found for this machine's BackendServerIP.
> Please run setup on this machine and modify the first page
> of the general settings.
>
> And yet, when I run mythtv-setup, there it is, plain as day: 127.0.0.1
> <http://127.0.0.1> (both FE and BE on same machine).
>
> Yes, mysql IS running, and when I dump the user table, there is user
> mythtv, on host "localhost", and I have set the password to mythtv, and
> all permissions are granted!  Database mythconverg is there, with its 40
> or 50 tables.
>
> My system is Mepis 6 (uses Ubuntu repositories), and I used the
> mysql-server-4.1 and the mythtv 18-point something, binaries.
>
> I must be missing something really stupid.  So my question is two-fold;
> if somebody can specifically tell me what's wrong, that would be great,
> but also, what is the strategy for storing all the various settings that
> the user can tweak and change?  Where is it?  Also, is there a log
> someplace that would give more useful information?  The one in
> /var/log/mythtv doesn't tell much.
>
> John

John-
all your settings are stored in the database (except for
~/.mythtv/mysql.txt that tells myth how to access the database.) If you
are running the backend as a diffrent user then the fronend you will
need .mythtv/mysql.txt for both users.

Since it looks like this is a new setup you can try to wipe the .mythtv
folder and rebuild it by running mythtv-setup for each user that uses myth

mv ~/.mythtv ~/mythtv-old
mythtv-setup

-Matt