[mythtv-users] Configuration question

John nesredep at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:00:58 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Matt Rude <mythtv at mattrude.com> wrote:

> all your settings are stored in the database (except for
> ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt that tells myth how to access the database.) If you
> are running the backend as a diffrent user then the fronend you will
> need .mythtv/mysql.txt for both users.
>
> Since it looks like this is a new setup you can try to wipe the .mythtv
> folder and rebuild it by running mythtv-setup for each user that uses myth
>
> mv ~/.mythtv ~/mythtv-old
> mythtv-setup

Yes, it's a new setup so I don't care if it gets destroyed while I learn.

There was no mysql.txt in user mythtv's .mythtv directory; only a "channels"
subdirectory, which was empty.

I deleted the .mythtv directory, and user mythtv ran the mythtv-setup, but
it only recreated the same situation; a .mythtv directory with channels
subdirectory.

Then I copied mysql.txt from another user (where it had been created
unintentionally during setup).  However, it still doesn't find the database
during running of mythtv-setup.   It reports "mythtv: could not connect to
socket, and mythtv: no such file or directory"

I did a reboot, but same result.

Contents of /var/run/mysqld are these:
-rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql   5 2006-12-07 14:54 mysqld.pid
srwxrwxrwx  1 mysql mysql   0 2006-12-07 14:54 mysqld.sock

The mysql.txt in mythtv user's .mythtv directory is this:
DBHostName=localhost
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

Any ideas?  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

John