[mythtv-users] Mythmusic crashing the frontend changing playlist

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:26:49 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, David Fishburn <fishburn at ianywhere.com> wrote:

> I am using Mythtv 0.20 on Ubuntu Edgy.
>
> MythMusic plays just fine.
>
> If I attempt to change the playlist, a good 80% of the time the myth
> frontend will disappear and I will be returned to the gdm.  I have been
> trying to find a sequence that does this, I originally thought it was
> happening if I let the existing playlist play instead of stopping it first,
> clearing the playlist and adding new songs.  But that didn't pan out.

I've been seeing this problem since about .14 or so. I don't get the
failure anywhere near 80 percent of the time, but I do get occasional
seg faults when using Mythmusic, and particularly when changing
playlists.

I haven't been able to solve the problem but have noticed that when
running Mythmusic immediately after starting the frontend I never have
the problem. It's only after the machine's been used to watch
recordings or videos that I get the seg fault -- and that can happen
while playing music as well as when editing playlists.

My workaround is to use the mythrestart script from Jarod's site to
automatically restart the frontend whenever it crashes. Plus I
shutdown and restart the frontend whenever I want to set up a new
playlist.