[mythtv-users] Transcode to MPEG2?

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 12:50:10 UTC 2006

It seems in the transcoding profiles that there is no option for MPEG2
output (only MPEG4 and RTJpeg).  Is there anyway to expand the set of
encoders to include MPEG2?

I realize MPEG2 is much bigger than MPEG4 but I have MediaMVP devices and
they can't decode MPEG4 and RTJpeg.  I'd like to keep my media in MPEG2 to
provide maximum portability.  I need to transcode because I have some HD
content that, again, can't be decoded everywhere and I'd like to make it so
it can.

I suppose I could use a "User Job" instead although frankly I must say I am
lost with respect to mencoder or ffmpeg (which I assume can encode MPEG2).
Putting together the proper command line to get a reasonable encoding seems
to be quite a bit of art vs. science.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

--
Mike