[mythtv-users] Transcode to MPEG2?

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:17:55 UTC 2006

It is actually pretty easy with ffmpeg to get a good re-encode.  It includes
some default 'targets' such as svcd and DVD that make doing what you're
talking about relatively easy.  Search the archives for my e-mails I
recently attached a copy of the user job I use to transcode for viewing on
XBMC.  It uses ffmpeg options '--target ntsc-svcd'.  The wiki contains the
information you'll need to add it in as a user job (some sql commands).

There is also a great transcode scrip hr-hdtv.sh which uses mencoder.  But I
think that's encoding to high bitrade mpeg4.