[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Dec 2 07:54:37 UTC 2006

Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Do you have a wife?  I do, and it's hard enough to get her to use the
> system in the first place.  When it takes forever (to her) to change the
> channels, she complains and makes me unhook the Mythbox and hook up the
> cable box direct.

Ah, you're using an STB.  That explains some of it.  Consider that after
you hit the channel number and ENTER in MythTV, it then has to command
the STB to change channels.  That effectively stacks the time to send
the command and the channel-change delay of your STB on top of any delay
MythTV has.  This is never going to be an instantaneous process.