[mythtv-users] ImageMagick dependency

Shanon Mulley shanonmulleyster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:52:55 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/30/06 01:12, Shanon Mulley wrote:
>
> >A little background before I get to my question (You can skip to the
> >last sentance if you just want the question)...
> >I use ImageMagick for a non-mythtv related task on my box. Up until
> >just recently, it has worked just fine with the the version of
> >ImageMagick that is installed via yum/smart (I use Fedora Core 5).
> >Recently, the ImageMagick bit has started having problems (I'll leave
> >out the details - this is probably the wrong forum for that).
> >
> >Now, I have been able to reproduce and fix this problem in a test
> >environment (VMWare) by installing the most recent version of
> >ImageMagick. However, when I tried to install mythtv on this test
> >environment (Usuing the FC5 yum install), it wouldnt work, because I
> >beleive it needs the correct version of ImageMagick installed.
> >
> So, is this just a package-manager error or did the install work and
> Myth fail?
>
> Mike

Well
1) My myth box right now, with the standard mythtv installation from
repositries (FC5 - from updates) works fine. The ImageMagick it
installs does not work fine. (It stopped working a few weeks back).
2) When I try to install a recent version of ImageMagick manualy (via
rpm), it tells me it will have to uninstall mythtv-suite, as I am
removing something it is dependant on (the older version of
ImageMagick). I stop it at this point (I dont want to lose my precious
mythtv)
3) When I try to install mythtv via yum on my test environment (which
has a working, recent version of ImageMagick it installed manually via
rpm) it fails, as it is unable to resolve some dependancies (Involving
ImageMagick).

So I guess neither - the package manager is doing its job (it is
telling me mythtv will disapear if I install ImageMagick manually),
and mythtv is still working, cause I heeded the package managers
warnings. (But I'm sure it would have failed if I didnt heed its
warning).

Shanon.