[mythtv-users] ./configure options

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 12:15:57 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 8/29/06, Carl Youngblood
> >> XvMC OpenGL sup. no
> >> bindings_perl    no
> >
> > Update: I got JACK and DTS enabled, but still can't figure out how to
> > enable xvmc opengl and perl bindings.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a pompous, arrogant <insert word of choice
> here>, I'd say that chances are, if you don't know what an option does,
> you probably don't need to include it in your build.  Even though I'm a
> diehard geek, to me, less is more.  (And not in the pager sense.)
>
> I don't know about perl bindings, but for XvMC OpenGL to work, you need to
> have the right combination of libraries on your system.  I haven't figured
> it out yet, and as far as I can tell, XvMC OpenGL doesn't give me any
> benefits (next sentence).
>
> I don't know if this is the current situation still or not, (or if it
> applies, since the wording is somewhat vague) but a posting by Daniel K.
> (the code maintainer for XvMC) indicates that you might not want to enable
> XvMC OpenGL:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/203431?search_string=xvmc%20opengl;#203431

Don't enable OpenGL XvMC. Daniel made it specificaly hard to enable
for a reason. It's code he's still working on and won't be available
for a at least a few months.

I can't find anything on the enabling Perl bindings, though from what
I understand its so you can control Myth through Perl scripts, so
unless you specificly need to do this, ignore the option.

As well, Jack is useless unless you know you need it, so disable it.
In fact, unless you run mythfrontend as a side app to your regular
desktop environment you can disable ARTS as well, only ALSA and OSS
are needed for audio output (and I believe recent changes allow for
just ALSA to be compiled if your not running OSS).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!