[mythtv-users] XM Radio

Schott, Andrew (GE Healthcare) Andrew.Schott at ge.com
Thu Aug 17 06:23:56 UTC 2006

Dude said:

________________________________

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org on behalf of William
Sent: Tue 08/15/2006 3:07 PM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] XM Radio

Personally I think its a horrible idea. Hard drives and cars do not mix
well. Your WAF is going to go down significantly unless you want to engineer
and install a interface that can  SAFELY be used by someone who is trying to
drive and keep kids under control. If you have to look away from the road to
operate it, the design is no good.

Also you may find that your alterations  will give your insurance company a
way out of paying any claims if you get into an accident. They will use any
excuse to not pay a claim, just ask the Katrina survivors how they feel
about insurance companies.

I disagree bigtime.  There are kits available online for units designed for this task.  The drive module has shock absorbtion and all.   Besides, the real pros use a fast CF card for the os and apps and a removable HD (like a USB Maxtor/WD hard disk) on a shock suspension tray/rack.  They work well and am anxious to get my own.  The one I have been mulling over has a hidable and removable in dash touchscreen too ;D

Andrew