[mythtv-users] [OT] CD stuck in Mac Mini

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Wed Aug 9 05:50:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 22:25:41 -0700, Rich Wilson wrote:
> Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to work with
> a Microsoft mouse. A friend has loaned me a Mac mouse, and
> I was able to eject the CD that way. I put a note about it in the wiki,
> but probably broke several rules of netiquette in the process.
>
> On to the next step. The Ubuntu CD wouldn't boot. Sigh.
> I have non-mythtv reasons for wanting Linux on the mini.

Did you update the Mac mini with the fireware that comes with Boot
Camp? If not, your mini won't boot from DOS boot sectors, like the one
on the Ubuntu CD. The new firmware contains a PC BIOS emulation that is
enabled when the mini boots from a DOS boot sector.

Even if you manage to install Linux without Boot Camp firmeware, you
will run into trouble when setting up the X server. Without the BIOS
emulation, the i810 driver doesn't work so you can only use framebuffer
graphics.

You might want to take a look on
http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page you havent't done it
already.