[mythtv-users] mythbackend with dynamic ip?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Aug 3 16:29:11 UTC 2006

Christopher M. Jones <cjones at partialflow.com> says:
> The ip address of the machine that has my backend server changes
> periodically. I'd rather not have to run myth-setup every time this
> happens. Anybody have an elegant workaround for this problem?

Although other people have answered by advising you to "disable DHCP"
and "set a static IP," they didn't see your other message, in which
you talk about a backend that's on a different LAN than the frontend,
presumably with an ISP that assigns the backend's LAN a dynamic IP
address. (You can't expect people to read a single message and somehow
know everything about the logistics of your particular setup.) Your
real question--which is quite off topic for a MythTV mailing list--is
"How do I get a dynamic domain name?"

I'd recommend DynDNS. I've been using it for years. You get a real
domain name, plus scripts to update DynDNS's name servers whenever the
dynamic IP address changes. There are free nameserver services
available, but DynDNS is cheap and reliable. However you get a dynamic
domain name, plug that into mythtv-setup (I will ignore the issues of
firewalls, port forwarding, and NAT).