[mythtv-users] mythbackend with dynamic ip?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 3 15:36:29 UTC 2006

> The ip address of the machine that has my backend server
> changes periodically. I'd rather not have to run myth-setup
> every time this happens. Anybody have an elegant workaround
> for this problem?

Probably the best solution is to stop using the dhcp  pool and assign fixed
addresses to each of your boxes. Without knowing details about your network
and distro its hard to get more detailed. This might involve installing a
firewall on your network so you can control which boxes get assigned pool
address and which boxes get fixed addresses. IPcop is a good choice.