[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Apr 15 01:09:40 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 6:35 PM, itsmebcc wrote:

> OK..  I do not necessarily aggree with the OP on this one,
> but.....  Saying
> that using MythTV to watch Live TV is using it wrong is just plain
> ignorant.
> Most of what I watch is recorded stuff, I have at least 5 things a
> day that
> record.  But I have a daughter that also uses Myth TV and minus the
> movies
> that I setup and record for her she switches between 4 or 5
> channels all the
> time.  The ringbuffer problem..  er...... issue is something that
> has been
> discussed in depth in the past so the OP is not completly off
> base.  I did
> use VDR before mythtv, and for watching live tv it beats it hands
> down.  But
> for me to watch anything other than live tv (trying to make it have
> pvr
> functionality) was a huge hassle.  All in all I like MythTV a lot
> better
> than anything else I have used out there for PVR stuff.  But no
> need for
> everyone to slam the guy and say there is nothing wrong at all......
> because he is not the only one that thinks that the ringbuffer
> issue needs
> to be improved.......

I think he's being slammed for the way he said it. When someone tells
you to pull your head out of your ass, you're not going to respond by
saying, "You're absolutely right. My head is up my ass. I'll focus on
the issue you have."

I, too, was disappointed to have to stop flipping channels because of
the 4-5 second delay I experience when doing so. I came from a Tivo
system where flipping channels is pretty much instant. However, I
don't know enough about the code to offer suggestions or even
CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, so I silently wait for it to improve or learn
enough to change it myself to suit my needs.

When you tell someone they've got their head up their ass right after
you've taken something from them that they've spent (literally)
countless hours on, you deserve to be slammed and you don't deserve
to use their code.