[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 17:52:03 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Felix Rubinstein <felixru at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't compain, it's just the first time I encounter a limitation in Linux!
>
> Once again, I don't want just to watch TV but instead to watch TV under
> MythTV, what if I watch TV and switch my receiver to another channel,
> instead of seeing the new channel right away, I wait for 4 secs new channel
> to appear.

Yes - that is the buffer feature of MythTV.  MythTV records all of the
"LiveTV" and the "LiveTV" is about 3 seconds behind actual live.

> People don't you ever thought that it's merely a showstopper? My point was
> that it's the first time I was shamed Windows outperformed Linux and why,
> because no one ever took some time to think about more optimal algorithm.

What DVR software are you using under Windows?  Not TV viewing
software, mind you, but *DVR* software?

> The most important feature doesn't work correctly, don't you think so, don't
> you use S-Video or don't you switch channels? Or I should waste time to
> correct the code?

The most important feature works perfectly fine.  Why do you not use
MythTV to change channels for you?

> MythTV doesn't know the channel was switched, for it it's just a stream of
> bits, all I want is just:
> mplayer /dev/video0
> and that this stream to be buffered for me to go forth and back.

MythTV *should* know what channel is switched, otherwise it has know
way of performing it's main function, which is to serve as a DVR.

If all you want is the mplayer functionality, why not set up an EXECTV
for mplayer or TVTime or xawTV?  That will give you the
"instantaneous" bit that you want, but it won't be buffered.

If you want it buffered, you're going to have to be a few seconds behind "live".

> How can I use MythTV if I need to wait 4 secs every time I switch to the new
> channel???

My main suggestion is to set up MythTV the way it is supposed to be
used, and to use it to change your channels for you.

My other suggestion is to please not top-post.