[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:00:44 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Felix Rubinstein <felixru at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't compain, it's just the first time I encounter a limitation in Linux!

For those who are keeping score at home: Windows - 1.2 million+, Linux - 1

> Once again, I don't want just to watch TV but instead to watch TV under
> MythTV, what if I watch TV and switch my receiver to another channel,
> instead of seeing the new channel right away, I wait for 4 secs new channel
> to appear.
> People don't you ever thought that it's merely a showstopper? My point was
> that it's the first time I was shamed Windows outperformed Linux and why,
> because no one ever took some time to think about more optimal algorithm.

If you have a way to record 4 real time seconds of video in 2 seconds
time, then please share. The lag you experience is due to the buffer
setup. Granted, this lag time maybe could be reduced. I don't know,
I've never looked at that part of the code.

> The most important feature doesn't work correctly, don't you think so, don't
> you use S-Video or don't you switch channels? Or I should waste time to
> correct the code?

That's your honest opinion. IMHO, I want to sit down and watch only
what I want to watch. I do this by recording lots of programs ahead of
time. If I wanted to channel surf, I'll use my TV, it's tuner is
better suited for that.

> MythTV doesn't know the channel was switched, for it it's just a stream of
> bits, all I want is just:
> mplayer /dev/video0
> and that this stream to be buffered for me to go forth and back.
>
> How can I use MythTV if I need to wait 4 secs every time I switch to the new
> channel???

Um, don't channel surf and watch prerecorded shows? Or deal with the
lag. Your call. Personally, I'm happy.

Josh