[mythtv-users] scheduling not using all three tuners?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Wed Apr 12 15:53:41 UTC 2006

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> says:
>
>> 'Time to record before start of show (in seconds)':
>>

> [...]
>

>> 'Time to record past end of show (in seconds)':
>>

> [...]
>

>> are both completely accurate descriptions of what the settings do.
>>

> Seriously, that's a relief; thanks for the confirmation. You see, I'd
> always taken these descriptions at face value, and had set the
> settings accordingly, but the rather fierce thread of a few weeks back
> plus the current one had seriously confused me.
>
> May I suggest that we either stop talking about "pre-roll" and
> "post-roll," phrases which mythfrontend itself never uses, and switch
> to something like "start early, if possible" and "end late, if
> possible"? (Messages like
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/18897?do=post_view_flat#18897>
> tell me that even developers get confused on this issue.)

But that is wrong.  Your "if possible" notation would confuse things the
same way they are confused now.  It is not "if possible", but rather
"after the scheduling is done", which is a problem for the hidef tuner
cards that take 15-20 seconds to lock in a channel.  You lose that much
of the beginning of the show.

I believe what Steven was saying is that there should be settings for
"hard" and "soft" pre-roll and post-roll.  Soft being ones that are
added after scheduling and hard being ones that are taken into account
by the scheduler, which would then use the three tuner cards that he has.

Do I have this correct Steven?