[mythtv-users] scheduling not using all three tuners?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 10 18:02:12 UTC 2006

On 04/10/2006 11:42 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> I want a "pre-roll" when possible. some shows I do have set to start
>>> recording 1min early, for ones that I MUST have this pre-roll. Others
>>> I want to be done, "when the possibility exists".
>>>
>>> So is there a way to do ^that^?
>> Set a per-recording pre-roll for those recordings that require it.  This
>> is a *hard* pre-roll and will bump other programs as needed to record it.
>>
>> Then set a global pre-roll.  This is a *soft* pre-roll and will be
>> recorded whenever possible.
> Well, no. Myth doesn't really do it "whenever possible",

How about "whenever possible, without affecting the recording schedule
or the assigned capture card"?  (Although, I think that's a bit much for
the "live help" for the setting.  Technically, "whenever possible" is
accurate, because when the pre-/post-roll isn't added, it's not possible
with the current rules for the scheduler. ;)

>  because of the
> way its scheduler works. That's what this whole thread was about. I got
> an off-list email from someone who submitted a patch for it, which is
> scheduled to go into the .20 release.

He sent the mail to the list, too, but it was the -dev list.  (My guess
is that he probably gets the digest and, after fixing the subject and
trimming the rest of the day's posts (which we very much appreciate,
BTW), he put the wrong address on the "To" line. :)

The ticket is #255 (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/146281#146281 ),
which has quite a few (in the bug database) comments and spawned a
discussion on the -dev list--where the discussion belongs--(
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/151647#151647 and also
the thread at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/152491#152491 ).  If
you read all the comments and the discussions on -dev, you'll have a new
appreciation for the problem (and why one person's solution may actually
cause more problems for others than the current solution causes for anyone).

However, I think the Milestone's setting of 0.20 doesn't really mean
"scheduled for inclusion into 0.20", but means "I won't even look at
this before 0.19 is out."  I'm pretty certain that Bruce Markey (bjm)
and David Engel (gigem), the devs who are most involved in work on the
scheduler, decided against inclusion of the patch without some rework
and testing.

There is currently a discussion on the -dev list (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/195124#195124 ), which
involves David Engel (Bruce has been busy with other things) and is
focusing on a workable soft padding solution (primarily to help those in
Australia--where TV schedules seem to be slightly less accurate than
horoscopes), but that would also benefit people who want that behavior.
David has the OP from this new thread working from David's (third)
rework (soft3.patch) of the patch from #255 (smarter-scheduling*.diff).

Oh, and I just have to say that David has put a lot of time and effort
into this idea, considering he's not really interested in using it
himself...  :)

Mike