[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:26:49 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:02:52PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > He wasn't.  He made a one-time announcement of a program which works
> > > with your software to provide a function which your software does not,
> > > announcing it in arguably the only forum where it *is* pertinent.
> > >
> > > That a couple people saw fit to reply and ask him questions does not in
> > > any way recharacterise his original posting as "using [your] [sic]
> > > mailing lists for user support" for his application.
> >
> > True, but, he did respond to the posts in such a manner as to change
> > the intent of the original email. Had he, after people responded on
> > list, asked people to kindly email him off list with their issues, or
> > better yet told people to email him off list with their issues, I am
> > willing to bet Isaac would not have issue with the announcement
> > emails.
>
> But, alas, that wouldn't have avoided the first layer of replies, and
> the first layer of replies was, with one exception, all I saw.

well, had he said in the first email to only reply to him off list,
then most people hopefully would have. But that fact is that he did
respond on the list, more than once as well.

> > Communities need rules. Isaac created this community, and as such set
> > the basic rules by which it will run. Members of the community can
> > agree upon rules by which they will abide on top of these basic rules.
> > If you don't agree with these rules, feel free to create your own
> > mythtv support list/forum/wiki and endow it with the rules you wish to
> > have, or none at all. The simple fact is we are all participating in
> > Isaac's world while we are here and thus must obey his rules. Isaac
> > has done a good job of making his rules as simple and basic as can be
> > to achieve the goals he set forth in creating the community and has
> > been pretty fair and even handed in excercising his authority.
>
> That has not been, to some extent, my perception, and I'm aware of
> other people (who write code, in a couple of cases) who agree.

your perception of what? agree on what?
(ok, ok, you got, me, I don't actually care, I'm just confused....)

> > If you feel his excercise of authority has been out of bound, perhaps
> > you would like to help enforce the rules he has set for the community?
>
> My complaint, as I was fairly clear, Steve, was with his approach.

his approach to his rules or his approach to his enforcement? It
sounds like you have more an issue with his enforcement of the rules,
to which I respond, enforce them first, in a kinder, gentler manner,
and this "issue" would go away.

> > Perhaps we need Isaac to let us know his basic rules, put them on the
> > wiki's page for the mailinglists, and practice self-policing, letting
> > users know when they come into the realm of violating these rules,
> > allowing Isaac to only have to step in if after being warned such
> > abuse of the rules continues?
>
> That would probably solve the problem *I* have; if Isaac isn't talking,
> he won't be yelling.

Isaac (if your still reading this....), I tried searching gossamer,
but couldn't find anything, would you mind outlining your list rules
so that I can put them on the wiki?

It's Friday!!, and after a conversation like this, I feel we should
all meet at the pub for rounds of beer!

--
Steve