[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 7 13:57:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:26:49AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > True, but, he did respond to the posts in such a manner as to change
> > > the intent of the original email. Had he, after people responded on
> > > list, asked people to kindly email him off list with their issues, or
> > > better yet told people to email him off list with their issues, I am
> > > willing to bet Isaac would not have issue with the announcement
> > > emails.
> >
> > But, alas, that wouldn't have avoided the first layer of replies, and
> > the first layer of replies was, with one exception, all I saw.
>
> well, had he said in the first email to only reply to him off list,
> then most people hopefully would have. But that fact is that he did
> respond on the list, more than once as well.

True, and as someone pointed out to me, I'd missed that he'd posted
announcements of all 4 betas, as well.

> > > Isaac's world while we are here and thus must obey his rules. Isaac
> > > has done a good job of making his rules as simple and basic as can be
> > > to achieve the goals he set forth in creating the community and has
> > > been pretty fair and even handed in excercising his authority.
> >
> > That has not been, to some extent, my perception, and I'm aware of
> > other people (who write code, in a couple of cases) who agree.
>
> your perception of what? agree on what?

"even handed in exercising his authority."

> (ok, ok, you got, me, I don't actually care, I'm just confused....)

Oh, sorry.  If I'd known you didn't care, I wouldn't have bothered to
clarify.  :-)

> > > If you feel his excercise of authority has been out of bound, perhaps
> > > you would like to help enforce the rules he has set for the community?
> >
> > My complaint, as I was fairly clear, Steve, was with his approach.
>
> his approach to his rules or his approach to his enforcement? It
> sounds like you have more an issue with his enforcement of the rules,
> to which I respond, enforce them first, in a kinder, gentler manner,
> and this "issue" would go away.

His approach to other people.  Which is oddly moderate, suddenly, so
I'm going to shut up now.  :-)

> > > Perhaps we need Isaac to let us know his basic rules, put them on the
> > > wiki's page for the mailinglists, and practice self-policing, letting
> > > users know when they come into the realm of violating these rules,
> > > allowing Isaac to only have to step in if after being warned such
> > > abuse of the rules continues?
> >
> > That would probably solve the problem *I* have; if Isaac isn't talking,
> > he won't be yelling.
>
> Isaac (if your still reading this....), I tried searching gossamer,
> but couldn't find anything, would you mind outlining your list rules
> so that I can put them on the wiki?
>
> It's Friday!!, and after a conversation like this, I feel we should
> all meet at the pub for rounds of beer!

You know, I tried *hard* to get out for a pint last night (Strongbow
cider, in my case), and the computers just wouldn't let me.

That sounds like a line from a paranoid science fiction movie, doesn't
it?

Cheers,
-- jra