[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 4 - new features, and now, fewer bugs!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 7 02:54:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:02:52PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > He wasn't.  He made a one-time announcement of a program which works
> > with your software to provide a function which your software does not,
> > announcing it in arguably the only forum where it *is* pertinent.
> >
> > That a couple people saw fit to reply and ask him questions does not in
> > any way recharacterise his original posting as "using [your] [sic]
> > mailing lists for user support" for his application.
>
> True, but, he did respond to the posts in such a manner as to change
> the intent of the original email. Had he, after people responded on
> list, asked people to kindly email him off list with their issues, or
> better yet told people to email him off list with their issues, I am
> willing to bet Isaac would not have issue with the announcement
> emails.

But, alas, that wouldn't have avoided the first layer of replies, and
the first layer of replies was, with one exception, all I saw.

> > But that sort of insular attitude -- along, I might say, with the
> > way you overreact to many other things which happen in "your" mythtv
> > community -- is the sort of attitude which causes forks in the long run.
> > (Mythweb was independent before it was a supplied module, was it not?
> > Was it first announced to the world here?)
> >
> > It's just happened to Schily; projects get forked because the primary
> > maintainer is an asshole.  Or even is *thought* to be an asshole.
> >
> > It really sucks that you designed and implemented a project that's so
> > popular that there are lots of non-hackers who want to use it and be
> > involved with it, and that you hosted up a wiki and it got a million
> > hits in a couple weeks. These things are all horrible.
> >
> > But regardless of what your opinions of these facts are, if your
> > interpersonal reactions to people about the facts don't calm the hell
> > down a bit, you're going to make yourself irrelevant.
> >
> > You already don't like me, so I don't figure it matters much whether I
> > tell you this, and somebody certainly ought to.
>
> Communities need rules. Isaac created this community, and as such set
> the basic rules by which it will run. Members of the community can
> agree upon rules by which they will abide on top of these basic rules.
> If you don't agree with these rules, feel free to create your own
> mythtv support list/forum/wiki and endow it with the rules you wish to
> have, or none at all. The simple fact is we are all participating in
> Isaac's world while we are here and thus must obey his rules. Isaac
> has done a good job of making his rules as simple and basic as can be
> to achieve the goals he set forth in creating the community and has
> been pretty fair and even handed in excercising his authority.

That has not been, to some extent, my perception, and I'm aware of
other people (who write code, in a couple of cases) who agree.

> If you feel his excercise of authority has been out of bound, perhaps
> you would like to help enforce the rules he has set for the community?

My complaint, as I was fairly clear, Steve, was with his approach.

> Perhaps we need Isaac to let us know his basic rules, put them on the
> wiki's page for the mailinglists, and practice self-policing, letting
> users know when they come into the realm of violating these rules,
> allowing Isaac to only have to step in if after being warned such
> abuse of the rules continues?

That would probably solve the problem *I* have; if Isaac isn't talking,
he won't be yelling.

Cheers,
-- jra