[mythtv-users] new recordings missing basename field in recorded table

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 01:41:55 UTC 2006

On 06/04/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/05/2006 08:19 PM, Leo Kliger wrote:
> >The only thing that I can think of is that when I setup my second
> >frontend yum downloaded version 0.19. When it couldn't connect I
> >downgraded it to version 0.18 and everything was seemed fine. Except
> >that I increasingly couldn't use nuvexport on new recordings.
> >
> >Could this have caused my my problem?
> >

> I'll ignore the "Could this have?" question as its answer is apparent
> from the answer to the question you're really trying to ask:  "Did
> this?"  The answer to that question is, "Yes!"  :)
>
> >If so, why? Why does a later frontend prompt a mysql schema upgrade?
> >

> Because a 0.19 frontend needs a 0.19 database.  A 0.19 backend needs a
> 0.19 database.  Do you need more examples to see the pattern?  ;)

I know I'm probably in the minority here and there's a good reason for
this 'feature', but this behaviour just strikes me as wrong. I don't
understand why a newer frontend (protocol incompatible) should be able
to silently force a schema upgrade. A frontend also needs a backend,
and if the database and the backend are both schema compatible, and
the frontend isn't, shouldn't the status quo remain and the user is
informed that the frontend is not compatible with the database and/or
backend? I know I'd rather things didn't break and I was advised why
the frontend can't connect and the possible solutions.

A non-desctructive connection to the database by the new frontend and
the displaying of a dialog offering the option of updating to the
frontend's schema (and possible consequences) would make things
immediately clear. I know this isn't the first time this issue has
been written about, but having even the slightest worry of adding a
new frontend in the future and having it making silent and potentially
non-backwards-compatible changes to the DB is not something I think
_users_ should have to face.

Nick