[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:35:14 UTC 2006

> > That makes more sense to me. Don't add a new tuner since it's the
> > same tuner. You just need to flag each channel in the DB so when it
> > comes to that channel, it sends an alternate change channel script.
> > Then you also need to handle the video differently, too... like not
> > at all. instead of displaying video when you hit a radio channel, we
> > probably need to display some OSD with info about the station.

So you'd need to add an extra channel-change script option to the tuner and
an extra flag to indicate if a channel is video or radio. Seems like some
pretty minor database edits, should work well. May as well leave that extra
flag as either extendable to other types, or extend one of the existing
flags. However, I'm starting to think that it might be easier to make it a
separate tuner and just have one of the options in the radio tuner be "which
video tuner are you attached to" and use that to handle recording conflicts.

one of the MythMusic style visualizations with station info overlayed
> would be cool...

Well, I think what we really want instead is for the station info to be
saved into the MP3 ID3 tag, and NO video to be stored at all. (you wouldn't
want a radio recording to be made up of mostly video, would you?) You would
then add the mp3 to your playlist in mythmusic or whatever your favorite
media player is and play it that way (easier than having to re-write myth to
handle mp3 playback when mp3s are already easily handled). I believe if you
pipe the output of the card into lame and directly into a file, you should
be able to listen to that file live as it's recording. The times will be a
little strange, so you may need to hack an mp3 player to be more kind about
the total time being transient (xmms, for example, just shows whatever the
total time was when you started playing the file, but the file will keep
playing past the end, even though the time display will be wrong).

I should play with ivtv-radio a little now that I have a recent version of
ivtv - I tried it once way back in the 1.9 days and never got it to work, so
I gave up.

 - Jeff