[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:25:54 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > > That makes more sense to me. Don't add a new tuner since it's the
> > > same tuner. You just need to flag each channel in the DB so when it
> > > comes to that channel, it sends an alternate change channel script.
> > > Then you also need to handle the video differently, too... like not
> > > at all. instead of displaying video when you hit a radio channel, we
> > > probably need to display some OSD with info about the station.
>
> So you'd need to add an extra channel-change script option to the tuner and
> an extra flag to indicate if a channel is video or radio. Seems like some
> pretty minor database edits, should work well. May as well leave that extra
> flag as either extendable to other types, or extend one of the existing
> flags. However, I'm starting to think that it might be easier to make it a
> separate tuner and just have one of the options in the radio tuner be "which
> video tuner are you attached to" and use that to handle recording conflicts.
>
> > one of the MythMusic style visualizations with station info overlayed
> > would be cool...
> >

> Well, I think what we really want instead is for the station info to be
> saved into the MP3 ID3 tag, and NO video to be stored at all. (you wouldn't
> want a radio recording to be made up of mostly video, would you?) You would
> then add the mp3 to your playlist in mythmusic or whatever your favorite
> media player is and play it that way (easier than having to re-write myth to
> handle mp3 playback when mp3s are already easily handled). I believe if you
> pipe the output of the card into lame and directly into a file, you should
> be able to listen to that file live as it's recording. The times will be a
> little strange, so you may need to hack an mp3 player to be more kind about
> the total time being transient (xmms, for example, just shows whatever the
> total time was when you started playing the file, but the file will keep
> playing past the end, even though the time display will be wrong).

I'd prefer to have the radio recordings listed with the tv recordings
or perhaps a seperate "Listen to FM Recordings" rather than have to
use MythMusic (mostly because I hate the MythMusic gui, etc). I'm not
saying save the video with the recorded audio (mp4 please, mp3s suck),
just for playback...

--
Steve