[mythtv-users] Myth TV media extenders?

Nathan Vidican mythtv at envieweb.net
Tue Apr 4 13:06:18 UTC 2006

Similar to Windows Media Extenders; ie Linksys unit, X-Box 360's, etc, and
similar to cheaper alternatives; is there anything one can do for a
mythtv-extender like?

Essentially, a bare-bones mythfrontend-driven box with a remote control to
attach to a TV. The cheaper the better, so long as it works... the idea being
one large mythtv backend 'server' and a frontend box on each tv in the
household, will be using Hauppauge PVR-500's for input from three dishnetwork
satellite receivers, and am looking to possibly add a fourth card for local
HDTV/SD-DTV signals.

While I'm at it, any suggestions as to a good HDTV tuner board? Will be going
into an (possibly) a Quad Xeon 550/2mb machine, with 4GB ram and 6 15,000RPM
SCSI U160 disks... assuming this machine will be adequate given that I/O will
most likely be the biggest bottleneck. I might also look to using a single
3200 Athlon as a backend box with 10,000rpm s-ata disks in an array. Any thoughts?

--
Nathan Vidican
nathan at vidican.com
(subscribed to mythtv list as mythtv at envieweb.net)