[mythtv-users] FRE? nvram-wakeup & auto-shutdown issue

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 4 09:59:46 UTC 2006

Henning Mersch wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I use my MythTV-Machine not just for TV - also as NFS Server etc.
> so it should not go done if backend is idle.
> But it should, if it was just switched on by nvram/rtc to record sth.
>
> How I realised this:
> mythwelcome could start frontend if booting was NOT performed due to
> recording. My frontend-start-script touches a file, which is checked for
> existens on check-shutdown by backend (a script around mythshutdown
> --checkshutdown) and exits with 2 if this touch-file was found,
> otherwise with return code of mythshutdown --checkshutdown.
> Thus the backend would not shutdown if touch-file was created
> On system-shutdown this touch-file is deleted if exists
>
> Is or could this behaviour be implemented in mythshutdown ?
> Or is it? Or is this use-case too specific?
>
> regards - henning

You could use the built in locking in mythshutdown to prevent the
backend shutting down. In your frontend-start-script call 'mythshutdown
--lock' and when your system shuts down call 'mythshutdown --unlock'.
You wouldn't need the wrapper around mythshutdown --check  or the
touch-file then. You could manually toggle the lock from the mythwelcome
interface if you want (press MENU then Un/Lock Shutdown or pressing the
'0' key will also toggle the lock state. Not sure it is exactly what you
want but at least you can choose if you want your system to shutdown
simply by using the remote from the mythwelcome interface.

Paul H.