[mythtv-users] Fast Forward locks up my MythBox

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Apr 1 19:42:18 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: "Jeff Simpson" < jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu>
> >If you go into the MythTV setup, you can just uncheck the box that says
> "Use PVR->350 MPEG output". It will then use the normal xvideo output, and
> hopefully work >fine. It will be a heckuvalot slower and eat up your CPU
> like candy, but it will >tell you where the problem lies without needing
> you
> to open up the case. You will >probably notice soem jumping/jittering when
> using xvideo to play mpeg, though, that >is being discussed in a few other
> threads on here.
>
> I tried this and sure enough FFWD seems to work.  My CPU seems to handle
> it
> fine for the moment.  Unfortunately I now have no sound in Live TV and my
> recordings.  That is, everything I've recorded since I made this change
> yesterday has no sound.  When I try to play the .mpg in mplayer it says
> there is no audio stream.
>
> I didn't change my cabling at all... still have TV-out audio going into
> the
> sound card in and sound card out to the TV.  But doesn't seem like a cable
> problem but a problem with the capture.

When you switch to XV instead of PVR output, it uses your sound card as the
audio output instead of the PVR as well as using the video-out instead of
mpeg out. Nothing should have changed on the recording side at all. Does
changing back to using the PVR-350 for output fix it again? That would be
really strange... Are you sure it's not a cable thing?, maybe the audio-in
cable on the PVR came loose?

As far as playback, though, when you use XV, you should no longer need that
loopback audio cable (and you should use the volume control on the PCM
device instead of the PVR-350 device).

 - Jeff