[mythtv-users] frontend crash during UK dvb-t playback - only at adverts

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:00:03 UTC 2005

On 9/20/05, Alan Bates <bite.my.shiny.metal.ass at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all – I now have a stable dvb-t myth setup running on an up-to-date
> fedora core system, using the hauppage nova-t. only major problem thus
> far is:
>
> watching certain UK channels, the frontend crashes when the commercial
> break begins – happens both with recordings and livetv. channels
> identified so far are channel4, e4/e4+1 and  abc1.
>
> I suspect the reason is that these channels broadcast in a variety of
> aspect ratios, and switch over at the start  of the adverts, causing a
> break in the signal of some kind – i.e. main broadcast  is in 16:9,
> channel ident may be in low-res 4:3, followed by ad in 16:9. this
> often causes a broken keyframe (?) which the system struggles to
> recover from, manifesting itself in a green frame, a period of
> scrambled or non-existent audio, and quite often, the complete and
> sudden death of the frontend. rest of the programme and other channels
> are fine.
>
> anyone else seeing  this behaviour or anything similar? let me know if
> there's any debug info that'd  help…

I've been running 0.18 since it was released on DVB-T in the UK with a
(version 909) Nova-T. It's quite normal for the adverts and the actual
programme to be in different aspect ratios, at most I see the odd
green frame / short garbled video but very rarely.

You don't say what version of Myth you're running. The current SVN
head is undergoing a major DVB re-write so i'd use the 0.18-fixes
branch for a production system until that all settles down.

Have a look in the logs to see if there's anything useful, otherwise
try and get a backtrace (see the user guide for instructions).

Steve