[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Sep 15 20:08:02 UTC 2005

Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:26:08PM -0700, Poul Petersen wrote:
>
>> 	BTW, the software raid tools for linux actually support
>> growing, even in a RAID5 configuration. Now before you get
>>

> Right, but that wasn't my point. :)  Raid5, with or without LVM still
> can't shrink an XFS filesystem, and my point is that shrinking, in my
> new experiences is something more useful than my strong dislike for
> reiserfs's poor performance compared to XFS and JFS on large files.
>

> Raid5 is really another issue related with availibility, not with
> the functionality I was trying to warn people about.

But you wouldn't need to shrink the filesystem to replace the disk with
RAID5, if you use enough disks (minimum 3). Of course there is a trade
off in terms of available data space, but if what you put on there is
important to you, it's worth it. At least for me it was. Performance is
increased as well, since you have more spindles to read and write from
simultaneously.

Tom