[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Sep 15 19:59:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:26:08PM -0700, Poul Petersen wrote:
> 	BTW, the software raid tools for linux actually support
> growing, even in a RAID5 configuration. Now before you get

Right, but that wasn't my point. :)  Raid5, with or without LVM still
can't shrink an XFS filesystem, and my point is that shrinking, in my
new experiences is something more useful than my strong dislike for
reiserfs's poor performance compared to XFS and JFS on large files.

.. I don't want to get into "what's best" because it's one of those
religious wars.  But there are many newbies here who will go with LVM and
could pick XFS, JFS, or Reiser4 because "they're faster", and in fact
this thread was a result of the "Which is the fastest filesystem" thread
that started just the other day, and even in there I said go with XFS or
JFS, Then the next day my drive started to fail and I hit a huge
pitfall in XFS, JFS and Reiser4 when dealing with LVM and failing disks.

Raid5 is really another issue related with availibility, not with
the functionality I was trying to warn people about.

--Brandon