[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Sep 15 20:20:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> But you wouldn't need to shrink the filesystem to replace the disk with
> RAID5, if you use enough disks (minimum 3). Of course there is a trade
> off in terms of available data space, but if what you put on there is
> important to you, it's worth it. At least for me it was. Performance is
> increased as well, since you have more spindles to read and write from
> simultaneously.

.. You need to re-read what I said.  My point was not avoiding a failed
disk problem.  My point even exists if you simply want to remove a disk,
for any reason -- You can't unless you're going to put a new disk in its
place, that is the problem/hidden pitfall to XFS, JFS, and Reiser4 with
LVM.  I have no desire to get into the raid debate because it's
completely unrelated to the problem I brought up.  If you're curious why
I chose not to do raid, e-mail me and I'll explain off-list.

--Brandon