[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Sep 14 21:52:34 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 05:45 pm, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:25:23PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> > On 14/09/05, Brian McEntire <brian.mcentire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  Video Card: MSI FX5200-TD128LF Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
> >
> > you're watching. I think a 5200-based card would be fine for HDTV -
>
> Just to help spread the word, stay away from the NVidia 6xxx and 7xxx
> series video cards -- they do not support XV Video Overlay anymore.
> NVidia only supports VMR overlay on the 6xxx and 7xxx (newer) cards
> which is to replace XV Video Overlay, but there's no support for it
> under XFree or Xorg (And I can't find any information on XFree or Xorg
> going to at it yet).  What this means is you'll get tearing when
> watching video and performance playback will be far less than perfect.

Not true at all.

Xv is not _just_ the video overlay.  If you're getting tearing, turn on the
'Sync to VBlank' options in the XVideo settings in the nvidia-settings app.

Myth uses the 'video texture adapter' by default on these newer boards, and
the only thing missing is support for adjusting the contrast/brightness/etc
through Xv.  No tearing, performance is exactly the same as with older
hardware, and there's no colorkey to show up at odd times. =)

I have a 6600gt in my dev box, and it has absolutely no problem playing HD
video.

Isaac