[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Wed Sep 14 21:59:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 05:52:34PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 05:45 pm, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > Just to help spread the word, stay away from the NVidia 6xxx and 7xxx
> > series video cards -- they do not support XV Video Overlay anymore.
> > NVidia only supports VMR overlay on the 6xxx and 7xxx (newer) cards
> > which is to replace XV Video Overlay, but there's no support for it
>
> Not true at all.
>
> Xv is not _just_ the video overlay.  If you're getting tearing, turn on the
> 'Sync to VBlank' options in the XVideo settings in the nvidia-settings app.
>
> Myth uses the 'video texture adapter' by default on these newer boards, and
> the only thing missing is support for adjusting the contrast/brightness/etc
> through Xv.  No tearing, performance is exactly the same as with older
> hardware, and there's no colorkey to show up at odd times. =)
>
> I have a 6600gt in my dev box, and it has absolutely no problem playing HD
> video.

Interesting.  Maybe we could all use a little teaching.  Is the video
texture adapter part of VMR, or is the video texture adapter part of a
GL surface that the video is played on?  Most of us know that overlay is
important for keeping smooth video when video's pan and so on.

What about XVMC on newer nvidia cards?

And last thing not related to myth directly, if people use mplayer or
xine to watch movies, do those players use video texture adapter or
overlay?

--Brandon