[mythtv-users] Re: Seeking Remote Control Advice for PVR-500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 22:24:33 UTC 2005

Unfortunately, I don't know how lirc works, because I
haven't studied the source code.  Therefore, I'll use
one of our "favorite" concepts in the software
industry, that of the "black box".

This is what happens:
1. You press the button on the remote
2. The IR receiver receives the IR pulses from the
remote
3. lirc communicates with the IR receiver and converts
whatever the IR receiver tells it into lirc's own
format.  (This is the "black box").

Now...  Your hypothetical example (NOOB) has it
correct, but, oo, you can't just make up a number.
You need to configure your IR receiver and make sure
that it's working with the lirc programs (you have
read the lirc documentation for which programs to use,
right?).  Once you know that the hardware is good, you
can use the "irrecord" program to create an lircd.conf
file.

-- Joe