[mythtv-users] Re: Seeking Remote Control Advice for PVR-500

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:32:57 UTC 2005

On 07/10/05, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.  Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm stil not clear on how this
> mapping takes place.  Bear with me for a sec....
>
>  I understand that we have programmed the remote to send code 240 when the
> sleep button is pressed.  How the lirc kernel knows that code 240 maps to
> x'166' (sleep) in lirc.conf isn't obvious.   I assume that lirc then makes
> an association between x'166' (sleep) and the sleep button entry in lircrc,
> which then sends a command to mythtv to skip to the previous commercial cut?
>
>  Maybe it's easier to take a completely new example:
>
>  Let's say my OFA remote has a key called NOOB that is not already activated
> by the VCR 0081 standard.  If I wanted this button to cause mythtv to take
> some action, I suppose I would need to 1) program the remote to send an EFC
> code (for sake of argument, say 777).  Then, 2) I would need an entry in
> lirc.conf called noob, associated with what hex code?  Would I make one up?
> How does lirc know what my intent is for code 777?   Then, 3) I assume I
> would create an entry in lircrc that defines a button called noob, that
> invokes the mythtv function I want to use.

lirc doesn't know what your intent is, but what it does know is that
it is getting a signal.

Using something like irw you can see the data that lirc is recieving
from the remote, in real-time. You can then use that information to
write your own lirc.conf with the values that lirc is recieving.

For instance, my (Hauppague) remote reports the following (when
monitored with IRW):

root at mythtv:/# irw
0000000000001f95 00 DOWN grayHauppauge
0000000000001794 00 UP grayHauppauge
0000000000001794 01 UP grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 00 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 01 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001797 00 RIGHT grayHauppauge
0000000000001797 01 RIGHT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f95 00 DOWN grayHauppauge
0000000000001f95 00 DOWN grayHauppauge
0000000000001794 00 UP grayHauppauge
0000000000001794 01 UP grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 00 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 01 LEFT grayHauppauge

The "UP grayHauppague" values are coming from my lirc.conf. If I had
nothing for those values I would be getting something like:

0000000000001794 01
0000000000001f96 00
0000000000001f96 01
0000000000001797 00
0000000000001797 01
0000000000001f95 00
0000000000001f95 00
0000000000001794 00
0000000000001794 01
0000000000001f96 00
0000000000001f96 01

The first number is the hex code that's been recieved by lirc, the
second number is the number of repetitions that the reciever has
identified (Holding down a button results in:

0000000000001f96 00 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 01 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 02 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 03 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 04 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 05 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 06 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 07 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 08 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 09 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0a LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0b LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0c LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0d LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0e LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 0f LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 10 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 11 LEFT grayHauppauge
0000000000001f96 12 LEFT grayHauppauge

And so on)

So, there's the basics. I believe there is an lirc configuration
builder included in the package, though I'm not sure what it's called.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston