[mythtv-users] Re: Seeking Remote Control Advice for PVR-500

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:49:38 UTC 2005

Hmmm. Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm stil not clear on how this
mapping takes place. Bear with me for a sec....

I understand that we have programmed the remote to send code 240 when the
sleep button is pressed. How the lirc kernel knows that code 240 maps to
x'166' (sleep) in lirc.conf isn't obvious. I assume that lirc then makes an
association between x'166' (sleep) and the sleep button entry in lircrc,
which then sends a command to mythtv to skip to the previous commercial cut?

Maybe it's easier to take a completely new example:

Let's say my OFA remote has a key called NOOB that is not already activated
by the VCR 0081 standard. If I wanted this button to cause mythtv to take
some action, I suppose I would need to 1) program the remote to send an EFC
code (for sake of argument, say 777). Then, 2) I would need an entry in
lirc.conf called noob, associated with what hex code? Would I make one up?
How does lirc know what my intent is for code 777? Then, 3) I assume I would
create an entry in lircrc that defines a button called noob, that invokes
the mythtv function I want to use.