[mythtv-users] Static from SPDIF out when starting playback

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 14:50:35 UTC 2005

--- David Maher <dm at netsol.com.au> wrote:

> I am also getting this for a split second as the audio starts when I watch
> digital tv, or a recording that is broadcast in dolby digital. If I press the
> + key and change audio streams to PCM digital, it does not happen if I press
> + again and change back to dolby it happens again. I have been thinking it
> was either my sound card or my suround receiver. My frontend is anAopen
> XCcube ea65.
> Cheers
>
> David Maher

It's a combination of both the source (your sound card) and your Dolby Digital
reciever.  It takes a little while for the receiver to detect that the stream
has changed from PCM to DD (or vice versa), and the receiver is SUPPOSED to
mute itself while it figures it out.  Some receivers are notoriously bad at
detecting the transition (my Rotel, for instance) and play the new stream in
the old format for a bit (really loud, chopping static).

My DirecTivo used to give my Rotel such fits that I had to use it's analog
inputs only.  My myth box works better, but I still get the chopping static on
occasion that you've described.  A friend's receiver works just fine with both
the DirecTivo and the myth box.

--Jack