[mythtv-users] automatically launching VideoLan or Windows Media Player with .NUV files?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:15:58 EST 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Andrew Cheyne wrote:

>>> Holy crap... my  first language really is English!
>>> Basically I said:
>>> DSMyth Filters will do what you are asking for. You might need to
>>> hunt around the archives if the backend needs to be configured for "
>>> myth:// ". But, as I said, I didn't have to do that this time.
>>>
>>> DSMyth configures your windows client just fine. BTW, I couldn't get
>>> the latest cvsbuild-2005-10-1 to work.  But I did get 0.10.0 working
>>> fine... but I had to make sure and uninstall the old DSMyth first.
>>>
>>> here's the dnl:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87267#files
>>

>> Brad,
>>
>>   When you said you didn't have to do it this time, I assumed your
>> reference to the myth:// stuff wasn't relevant anymore. I just
>> followed (some of) the instructions I found on a previous link and it
>> all works fine now.
>

> It's relevant... in that when you hover over the PNG/link in the
> "Recording Programs" page of the .nuv video it should say:
> myth://<videofile>.nuv
>
> I just didn't have to configure mythweb for that to work this time
> (had to configure mythweb to tell it where my videodir was, etc.)
>
> You'll get a couple of warnings that you can safely click thru at first.
>
> I really don't know how this works since on linux I don't see myth://
> but it says http://
>
> I'm sure many people here know how this works. I'd like to know more
> about it.
>
> brad

It seems that the only way you can stream things is if you use mythweb
or if you set up video lan to stream things on the host machine and then
receive it on your windows machine, is that right?  So, using dsmyth and
then just clicking on a file on windows explorer from a shared directory
on a mythtv machine is totally different.  I'm asking because right now
when I view video on my windows machine it stutters at times and plays
with low framerate.  The sound continues on at normal speed and the
video completely goes out of sync in a very short time.  It seems that
my video files (about 8000Kbits/sec for rtjpeg, 3000Kbps for mpeg4) are
taking too much bandwidth as windows is treating them as if they were
local files and it can't get the data off the myth machine fast enough,
since the myth machine is on 802.11g wireless.  Even then 8000kbps
shouldn't be enough to cause any problems though so I don't fully
understand it.  Lastly, VLS cannot play rtjpeg yet it seems, even with
the dsmyth filters installed, while windows media player can.  Does
anyone have a good player suggestion they use for this stuff?
Raphael