[mythtv-users] mythfrontend config

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 18 12:48:56 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:54:39 -0500, Danny Brow wrote:

>For tar ball
>
>./configure --prefix=/usr
>edit settings.pro and find this line
>prefix=/usr/local
>Change to
>prefix=/usr
>
>qmake mythtv.pro
>make -j3 (if you have smp or ht)
>

>On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 19:13 -0500, dave sailer wrote:
>> I run gentoo and have been trying to debug mythfrontend issues. WIth a
>> stock gentoo emerge of myth, things run out of "/usr". When I downloaded
>> the mythtv tarbal and manually compiled everything has switched to
>> "/usr/local".  I now want to go back to running the stock emerge and out
>> of "/usr" but can't figure out how. I have unmerged and re-emerged
>> mythtv but I still have issues with not finding plugins due to looking
>> in "/usr/local".  Where is this configured?

It's not often clear where a pre-compiled binary will get installed...
If you compile you can control that.
As noted, you can set the 'top' level for where mythtv will be put, by
using --prefix=/usr(/local) on compiling. But which one gets called when
you type 'mythfrontend' at a console will depend on your PATH.

So you could compile a new version and put it in /usr/local, but if
/usr/bin is in your PATH ahead of /usr/local/bin you will get the old one!
 And if you explicitly enter /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend... you may end up
trying to talk to the 'old' backend, which got started through init.d by
being invoked at /usr/bin....

You can hardwire your init.d script.. but be prepared to curse if you
forget to change it when you change where the frontend lives.

Note that it is a necessary implication that you can have 2 different
versions living at the different levels, but that would be damn dangerous
as both of them talk to the same mysql database. It *should* work without
problems but YMMV.

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638