[mythtv-users] Freeze in recording playback

David Hampton hampton-sf at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Nov 20 20:43:22 EST 2005

I been having a strange problem for a while now where playback on my
front end freezes randomly.  When it happens, the audio stops playing
and then about a second later the video freezes.  The system is not
hung, as I can hit the skip back button and the system will back up and
then play right through the point where it froze before.  There is no
discernable pattern to these freezes.  Sometimes the system will go 20
minutes between freezes, sometime only 20 seconds.

This is a Via Epia MII 12000 system, playing back through a PVR-350
card.  The software is FC3 with the following rpms:

  kernel-2.6.12-1.1380_FC3
  libmyth-0.18.1-115.rhfc3.at
  ivtv-0.4.0-98.rhfc3.at
  ivtv-firmware-1.8a-4.at
  ivtv-kmdl-2.6.12-1.1380_FC3-0.4.0-98.rhfc3.at
  ivtv_xdriver-0.10.6-3.rhfc3.at

  ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02050032
  ivtv0: Decoder revision: 0x02020023

I've tried adding "options ivtv debug=1" to modprobe.conf but don't get
any messages when the problem occurs.  I've also tried both settings of
the "use video as timebase" option without changing the problem.

Anyone else seen this problem or have any idea of how I can track it
down?  Thanks.

David