[mythtv-users] Nuvexport dies - no matching database entries (was Re: Remain in MPEG-2 but remove commercials?)

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Mon May 30 12:43:30 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, yeah. I only use nuvexport when I want to burn some shows to DVD.
>
> So that works? My dad has a bunch of old family videos on tape. He
> 'interviewed' a bunch of my now gone relatives. He wants to digitize
> them with the PVR-150 I set up at their place and then burn them to
> DVD for the rest of family.

Yes and maybe.

I have quite a number of DVDs that I have burned. However, the process
is not automated, and may be more complex than your dad wants to mess
with.

1. Record show(s) in Myth using my PVR-250
2. Edit each show for commercials (load commercial cutlist, optionally
edit cutpoints with e/z)
3. Run nuvexport to export show(s) to commercial-cut mpeg2 file(s)
4. Use mplayer to play each show, skimming through it to verify that
it exported properly and that there are no a/v sync issues
5. Use DVDStyler to create a DVD iso. DVDStyler lets you graphically
lay out a DVD menu, define which mpeg2 files are used in the DVD, and
define chapters. It will also let you preview the DVD before burning
it or saving it as an iso.
6. Use k3b to burn the iso.

Now for the maybe. In theory this process should also work for videos
captured from a VCR. But, as Cory pointed out, capture from a VCR
often yields audio-video sync issues.

I also have a closet full of old home videos that I want to put on
DVD, but I haven't gotten around to trying this lately.

The best thing to do is try it. If the above process sounds reasonable
to you, try capturing one video from a VHS tape and see if it works.
If you hit a/v sync issues, there are possible fixes, such as
ProjectX.

> > Also, fyi, mpeg2 cutting shouldn't take too long. Maybe 5-10 mins for
> > an hour show. Depends on your machine, but that's the right scale for
> > the timeframe.
>
> 3GHz P4HT. Took about 10-12 minutes for the whole movie. The results
> weren't too bad. It missed 4 commercial breaks. I have to go back and
> see if they were flagged or not in myth. I guess if they weren't that
> I could somehow add them within the E/Z editor.

I always manually check the commercial cut points in the E/Z editor. I
almost always make some manual tweaks, but it depends on the show.
Taking a little extra time to make clean commercial cuts can make your
exported movie look a lot more professional.

> Thanks for your help.

No problem. Good luck!

Cheers,
Lane