[mythtv-users] Network speed.

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon May 30 04:06:01 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mathew Mrosko <mythtv at matmrosko.com>
Date: May 29, 2005 8:34 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Network speed.
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org

I have a question about a network setup issue.  My uncle is building a new
house, and I'll be setting up a nice myth setup for him.  I have a Cisco 1900
series 24 port switch.  The switch has 24 10Mbit ports and 1 100 Mbit port.
I'm just wondering if the 10 Mbit speed would be enough to run 3 or 4
frontends if the backend was on the 100 Mbit port.  I know straight number
wise, since 10 Mbit is fast enough, that you should be able to put 10 ports
against the 1 100 Mbit one, but if there's one thing i've learned in 5 years
as a CS major, it's that the numbers in computing (especially when talking
about the retail side of things) are skewed in favor of looking better than
it is...

-Mat Mrosko

Hi,
   I just bought a cheap Netgear 5 port 100Mb switch for <$20 @ Frys.
Why bother with the old stuff? You don't need a 24-port switch for 3-4
frontends. You need the little guy I bought.

   Just a thought.

cheers,
Mark